Syma X5C 2.4G 6 Axis Gyro HD Camera RC Quadcopter with 2.0MP Camera
As a starter Quadcopter for beginners, this one’s an absolute best seller and for good reason.
The Syma X5C is a great choice and extremely popular for beginners because of what it has to offer, including a camera, versus the extremely low price tag.
This is one of the first beginner Quadcopters people tend to go for as it’s low priced, quite robustly built and has that camera option which most people tend to look for, although remember you get what you pay for! It’s also bigger and not a micro sized tiny Toy Drone, so feels like you are getting a bit more Drone for your money.
We really like this one as a starter Quad, but read on to find out the details for yourself and if this is a good choice for you;
Who Is This Suitable For?
Beginners / Novice
+ Easy to learn and great fun to fly
+ Pretty good HD camera for still or video
+ Battery easy to replace / swap
+ Very sturdy and can take some crashing !
+ Great value for money / very low priced
– Lightweight, so not great in windy conditions
– Control range short (but can be extended – see below)
- 6-AXIS GYRO: Equipped with the latest 6-axis flight control systems making it more more stable and flexible when flying
- 360°EVERSION: Perform flips at the press of a button with 360 degree eversion
- CAMERA: 720p HD camera for pictures and video
- VERSATILE: Can be flown indoors or outdoors
- CONTROL DISTANCE: About 30 meters (can be extended – see below)
- BLADE PROTECTORS: Protective circle preventing the blades getting damaged during collision and for safety
- BATTERY: Flying time: About 5-7 minutes / Charging time: About 100 minutes (USB Charging)
- COLOR FLASHING LIGHTS: Keeps your Aircraft visible if flying at night
What is Included in the Box ?
Here’s what you get for your money;
- 1 x Syma X5C RC Quad Copter
- 1 x 2.4G Remote Controller (does not include 1.5v AA batteries)
- 1 x USB charging cable
- 4 x Rotating blade
- 4 x Protection frames
- 2 x Landing skids
- 1 x Screwdriver
- 1 x 3.7V 500mAh LiPO battery
- 1 x User Manual
If you’re a beginner looking to get straight in the air and start shooting photos and videos then the Syma X5C is a great choice for you as a starter Quadcopter.
Functionally, it’s fairly basic, although it does have 6 axis gyro and one key flip function, but does not have headless mode, return to home or altitude hold so you do need to be careful when learning to fly as you don’t have these options to help you.
The controller is quite easy to get the hang of and you should be able to get a good level of control in a short space of time, normally around 1 to 2 weeks depending on how much you practice. You have to use the controller and cannot use your mobile device to fly this Drone like you can on other Drones, which also means you can’t stream the video live, you need to record it for playback.
Being honest, the camera’s image quality isn’t great and there is no gimbal stabilization, which does make for some shaky footage results. But for the very low price, you just can’t really argue too much.
The good news is Syma has made all the parts available for replacement, so if you have any serious crashes or accidents, you should be able to fix it as they include a manual which has a diagram for how to break the unit down.
The Drone itself is lightweight and flexible which makes it robust, but the trade off here is that you can’t really fly well if there are strong winds.
Due to the short flying time of around 6-7 minutes versus charging time of about 2 hours, it’s a very good idea to order extra batteries which are quick and easy to swap over to keep the fun going.
Extended Control Range – ** Not Included **
It is possible with some simple modifications to extend the control range from 30-50 meters to 80-85 meters if desired.
** Please note this is not an endorsement to doing this and would be at the owners risk **
Below is an instructional video to show you how to do it;
What are your experiences with the Syma X5C Quadcopter?
We have enjoyed flying this and we hope you do too. Please do leave us a comment below and let us know what you think !